Firecracker-related injuries have decreased further during the recent Christmas and New Year’s Day revelries, according to the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday, Jan. 1, 2022.

People watch fireworks display that light up the night sky over Quezon Memorial Circle on New Year’s celebration, Jan. 1, 2022. Unlike last year where the city’s traditional countdown was held virtually, Quezon City residents was allowed to attend the festive event under Alert Level 2 with safety guidelines in place to avoid the spread of coronavirus. (Noel B. Pabalate)

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said that as of 6 a.m. on Saturday (Jan. 1), a total of 85 fireworks-related injuries were reported by various hospitals. He said that this was 11 percent lower compared to last year’s tally of 96 cases and 75 percent lower than the five-year average of 336 cases.

According to the Firework-Related Injuries Surveillance Report from Dec. 21, 2021 to Jan. 1, most of the cases were reported from the National Capital Region at 36 percent, followed by Region 6 at 15 percent, and Region 1 at 13 percent.

DOH said in a statement that minors and young adults between 11 to 30 years old were injured the most. More than half of the cases according to the report were blast/burn injuries at 61 percent not requiring amputation, while about 12 percent still required amputation.

About 58 percent of the cases were passive spectators or bystanders. More than half of the cases at 58 percent occurred at home and 45 percent happened in the streets.

However, there were no reported cases of fireworks ingestion and stray bullet injury. Although DOH said that the numbers may change in the coming days due to late reporting and consultations.

“The continuous decline in fireworks-related injuries since 2016 is a testament of the impact of a people-centered, participatory and collaborative whole-of-nation, whole-of-government, and whole-of-society approach in preventing debilitating fireworks injuries,” Duque said.

DOH urged the public to never waiver in observing the minimum public health standards amidst the increase of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases from increased mobility during the holidays and the looming threat of the Omicron variant.

“We welcome 2022 with renewed optimism for a Healthier Pilipinas – one that is made possible by sustained commitment and concerted action of families and communities, the public and the private sector,” Duque said.


Source: Manila Bulletin (https://mb.com.ph/2022/01/01/fireworks-related-injuries-on-christmas-new-years-day-revelries-down-by-11-doh/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fireworks-related-injuries-on-christmas-new-years-day-revelries-down-by-11-doh)